Just like Granny made!
Delicious pudding of rhubarb sponge with list of ingredients and cooking directions
This serves 4-6. Rhubarb sponge isn't an exclusive Scottish dish, but it's my favourite pudding that my mum and wife makes me. So it deserves a special mention! I love mine warm, served with vanilla ice-cream.
Rhubarb Sponge Recipe
100g self raising flour
Rhubarb cut into cubes
Sugar to taste
A little water
Big tub of vanilla ice cream!
Rhubarb Sponge Pudding Recipe
1. Stew the fruit until it is soft and leave in a dish to cool.
2. Make the sponge by creaming the margarine and sugar then adding the eggs and flour.
3. Put the mixture on top of the fruit.
4. Bake at 190c or gas mark 5 for about one hour or until lovely and golden.
5. Serve hot with your favourite topping or on its own.
Taste Ye Back: Great Scots and the Food That Made Them describes the old Scottish practice by children who used to dip rhubarb sticks into bowls of white sugar, with many of the contributors wondering if this is why their generation have bad teeth and many fillings!
Below are details of some more rhubarb recipes enjoyed by us:
The Three Chimneys Recipe Book has two easy and delicious rhubarb recipes which are rhubarb and stem ginger parfait with ruby orange syrup and an alternative rhubarb crumble tart which uses rolled oats and chopped nuts as part of its ingredients.
If you like our Traditional Scottish Recipes and would like to easily share them with your friends and family please use the social networking buttons below:
Follow us on:
Flags/Emblem of Scotland