Just like Granny made!
Spicy Red Lentil Soup
Recipe for traditional Scottish spicy red lentil soup with list of ingredients and cooking directions
Spicy Red Lentil Soup Recipe is my mum's best dish. I've been married for over 21 years and she still brings tupperware tubs for me - the missus just cannae cook as well as me ma:
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup Recipe:
1 medium sized onion
3 medium carrots and potatoes
1 red pepper
125g red lentils (soak for 1 hour prior to cooking)
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of turmeric
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A 400g can of tomatoes
750ml of water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon of basil
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Eating in has a lentil and ginger soup served with naan bread.
Spicy Lentil Soup
1. Chop the vegetables finely.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and fry spices.
3. Add vegetables and lentils and stir and coat vegetables with spices. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Cut up tomatoes, put them in a measuring jug and add enough water or stock to make 1.2 litres.
5. Add this with basil and bay leaf to pan of vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more water or stock if necessary.
Scottish Lentil Soup Recipe
The Book Maw Broon's Cookbook has a more traditional Scottish lentil soup recipe which uses ingredients such as carrots, turnip. onions, potatoes and a ham hough. Buy Maw Broon's Cookbook at a discounted price and with free delivery available.
If you like our Traditional Scottish Recipes and would like to easily share them with your friends and family please use the social networking buttons below:
An alternative spicy lentil soup recipe can be found in Taste Ye Back: Great Scots and the Food That Made Them which includes ingredients such as crushed dried chillies, peppercorns and ham hock.
Follow us on:
Flags/Emblem of Scotland