Just like Granny made!
Scottish Beef Stew
Ingredients and cooking method for Scottish beef stew all in one pot meal
This is Mrs B's famous windy beef stew recipe - a few hours eating all this vegetable rich dish - the wind fair gets blowing up yer kilt! But don't let that put you off, it's delicious. Even better for hubbies like me who have to do the dishes - it involves only one pot! Mrs B makes a huge potful which we eat for a few days - reheating thoroughly each day. It's a real winter warmer in the depths of the lovely Scottish freeze your nadgers off weather:
1.1kg stewing steak cut into cubes
1 chopped onion
700g potatoes cut into chunks
25g plain flour
75ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
450g carrots cut into chunks
2 leeks cut into chunks
1 swede cut into cubes
3 parsnips cut into cubes
Use discount code sr1501 at checkout for 10% off & free delivery on orders with a subtotal over £30 at online butcher Donald Russell, cannot be used with any other discount codes and will not apply to half price steak selections.
I have published a book which tells the story of The Grey Lady Ghost of the Cambridge Military Hospital which reveals her origins in the QAIMNS and where she meets a QA veteran of Afghanistan. She still walks her wards and tells her story by taking Scott Grey, a QARANC nurse, to the battlefields of World War One and beyond. This is the first in the series of Grey and Scarlet Novels by CG Buswell. Each book will feature different Scottish food and a favourite meal. Read the first chapter for free.
Over £100,000 of vouchers to be won - everyone's a winner!
1. Coat the steak with the flour, keeping any leftover flour.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot.
3. Add the steak and cook until brown then remove the steak and reduce the heat.
4. Add the onion and slowly cook until the onion is tender. Add the remaining flour.
5. Slowly stir in the stock, add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring until all the ingredients in the pot are blended together and the mixture gets thicker.
6. Put the steak back into the pot, reduce the heat and simmer for about two and a half hours.
7. Add the vegetables, stirring well and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the steak and vegetables are lovely and tender.
8. Enjoy and watch out for the wind from this Scottish stew recipe!
Optional ingredients for stew:
Delicious served with hot rolls for dunking into the stew and with dumplings added.
A slow cooking overnight stew recipe can be found in Taste Ye Back: Great Scots and the Food That Made Them.
A rich coloured and hearty beef stew recipe can be found in the book Clarissa's Comfort Food by Clarissa Dickson Wright. This uses amongst other ingredients such as stewing steak, bacon, draught cider, black treacle, tinned anchovy fillets and pickled walnuts. For those who do not like suet Clarissa recommends making dumplings in the traditional Jewish way by using chicken fat.
A beef and chestnut stew recipe can be found in Taste Ye Back: Great Scots and the Food That Made Them.
If you like our Traditional Scottish Recipes and would like to easily share them with your friends and family please use the social networking buttons below:
Win £250 of Scottish food when you join the Donald Russell newsletter
Follow us on:
Use discount code sr1501 at checkout for 10% off & free delivery on orders with a subtotal over £30 at Donald Russell, cannot be used with any other discount codes and will not apply to half price steak selections:
Flags/Emblem of Scotland