|Just like Granny made!||www.scottishrecipes.co.uk|
Traditional Scots cold cure and pick me up drink made with lemon honey and whisky - hot toddy Scottish recipe with an alternative children version
There's many different hot toddy recipes kicking around but these are the easiest and the one's I grew up with. They are an excellent pick me up or a cold cure drink:
Follow us on Twitter:
Hot Toddy Ingredients
Ingredients for a non-alcoholic hot toddy recipe for children
1 teaspoon honey or 1 teaspoon of sugar
1 slice fresh lemon or 2 tablespoons of lemon squash
Mug/cup of boiled water
A wee sprinkle of ground nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
One clove but please do remove this and the cinnamon stick before serving.
Hot Toddy Recipe
1. Put the honey/sugar into a mug/cup with the lemon squash if used.
2. Add the boiled water. Add the fresh lemon slice if used instead of squash.
3. Add the cinnamon stick if used. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
4. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg if used, then serve.
Whisky Hot Toddy
I love this whisky hot toddy - especially with a fine malt - you don't need to be poorly to enjoy it!
A wee dram of whisky
1 teaspoon honey
1 slice fresh lemon/lemon squash
1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1 clove (optional and needs to be removed along with the cinnamon stick before drinking)
Hot Toddy Whisky Recipe
1. Put the honey into a mug and disolve in a wee bit of boiled water.
2. Add the whisky depending on your taste. 1 -2 tablespoons is recommended.
3. Top up with more boiled water. Add the cinnamon stick and cloves if used. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Remove the stick and any cloves used.
4. Add the fresh lemon/lemon squash, stir well, then sprinkle with a pinch of ground nutmeg if used then serve.
Scottish Hot Toddy Recipe
A more traditional Scottish hot toddy recipe can be found in the book The Scots Kitchen by F. Marian McNeill with basic ingredients of just whisky, sugar and hot water.
The hot toddy drink recipe for adults should not be given to anyone taking antibiotics or painkillers because of the whisky content though the adult hot toddy can still be made and drunk without alcohol. The honey and lemon content should help to give some comfort to a sore throat. The spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves provide a comforting smell, aroma and taste.
Please note that the photos on this page are for demonstration use only and we have used a clear glass for photograph purposes only. We would suggest using a mug with a handle to make your hot toddy recipe because the liquid will be hot.
If you like this page and would like to easily share it with your friends and family please use the social networking buttons below:
Flags/Emblem of Scotland
Recipes From Scotland
|Site contents copyright ScottishRecipes.co.uk - All rights reserved.|